Now that the New Yorker has opened its paywalled gates for every article since 2007 for the next three months, there’s never been a better time to read through its legendary archive of short stories. Since the magazine’s inception, it’s published work from some of the last century’s most important writers, including John Updike (pictured above), Vladimir Nabokov, J.D. Salinger, and Alice Munro. Many of the stories are behind a paywall, but check them out if you have a subscription. Here are EW’s picks for the New Yorker‘s best stories:
Tag: New Yorker (1-2 of 2)
Reviews are pouring in for Hillary Clinton’s new memoir Hard Choices, and they’re all over the map. Robin Abcarian at the Los Angeles Times writes that the book “leaves no room for doubt about how she might conduct foreign policy (pragmatically), how she will defend herself against charges that she mishandled the attack on the American compound in Benghazi, Libya (robustly) and about how much she regrets giving President George W. Bush carte blanche to wage war against Iraq (deeply and eternally).” Michiko Kakutani over at the New York Times calls it “a subtle, finely calibrated work that provides a portrait of the former secretary of state and former first lady as a heavy-duty policy wonk” and compares it favorably to Clinton’s 2003 book, Living History. On the other hand, Isaac Chotiner at The New Republic refutes Kakutani, saying her review is filled with generalizations. He writes, “if Kakutani is going to make claims for the book’s merits, she must follow through on her generic praise, and offer some sense of what is valuable in the book, or at least some sense of what she enjoyed about it.” And at Slate, critic John Dickerson says it’s filled with “safe, methodical writing.” In keeping with tradition, Clinton doesn’t reveal whether she’s running for president in 2016. Okay, Hillary; whatever you say. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Books
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' recap: 'Edward Mordrake, Part 2'
- 'Survivor' recap: The price of rice is right?
- 'Survivor': 3 Q's for Jeff Probst and an exclusive deleted scene
- 'Arrow'; 'Nashville'; 'Top Chef'; 'The 100'; 'Kingdom'; more TV recaps
- 'South Park' react: Attack of the drones
- 17 creepiest TV shows
- Stand-up comics endure hell gigs and live to tell the tales on EW's 'Polished'
- Cookie Monster spoofs 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire'
Top 5 Most Read
- Lily Rabe to appear on 'American Horror Story: Freak Show,' reprise 'Asylum' role
- This week's cover: First look at 'Terminator: Genisys'
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' star joins Kevin Williamson's CBS drama pilot
- 'Halo 2' shows revamped cinematics in new trailer
- Syfy plans to lure you back with these 5 shows