Only a week into November, Amazon has already called its picks for best books of 2013. Some of the choices are bold, some are expected, but decide for yourself whether Amazon’s faves will make your holiday list. EW’s list is coming shortly, so stay tuned! READ FULL STORY
Tag: Khaled Hosseini (1-4 of 4)
Khaled Hosseini on his decades-spanning new novel: 'Everything for me starts very small and snowballs'
You’ll be forgiven for thinking that Khaled Hosseini’s third novel, And the Mountains Echoed (out today), is just like his previous two. Like bestsellers The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, his latest is a multi-generational family saga — a novel that starts in rural Afghanistan, yes, but that grows up and out, jumping both forward in time and across the world, to Europe and the United States; and informed, in part, by his own experiences traveling to Afghanistan in recent years. The result has a deceptive emotional scale, often in the same chapter. (Our Stephan Lee gave it an A.) “Everything for me starts very small and snowballs. So I rarely start with the grand idea and find a place for it and narrow down,” Hosseini says. “It’s really just start small and as I’m writing it I begin to see, sometime to my own surprise, what’s unfolding and what’s blooming.”
The author spoke with us about the gap between his second and the third novel; the experiences that informed the very large cast of characters; and how readers have begun responding to “the tree” that is his newest novel.
Khaled Hosseini, the best-selling author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, is going on a massive five-week, 40-event book tour befitting a rock star to promote his upcoming novel And the Mountains Echoed (May 21). While we don’t know the exact plot of the new novel yet, we do know that it’s a family drama that takes place all around the world, from Kabul, to Paris, to San Francisco, to the Greek island of Tinos. Check out the exclusive tour schedule below to see if you’ll have an opportunity to meet Hosseini and get a signed copy of And the Mountains Echoed. Our hands cramp at the thought. READ FULL STORY
Khaled Hosseini, the best-selling author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, will publish a new novel on May 21, 2013.
And the Mountains Roared (Riverhead) will be Hosseini’s first new book in six years. He said in a statement, “I am forever drawn to family as a recurring central theme of my writing. My earlier novels were, at heart, tales of fatherhood and motherhood. My new novel is a multigenerational-family story as well, this time revolving around brothers and sisters, and the ways in which they love, wound, betray, honor, and sacrifice for each other.”
Over 10 million copies of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns have been sold in the United States, and over 38 million copies of both books have been sold worldwide in over seventy countries.
Follow @EWStephanLee on Twitter.
- 'Sherlock' season 3: 10 new photos
- 'Mob City': 18 stylish shots
- Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman: Let's think this through
- 'Veronica Mars' out 3/14/14 -- and we have a clip!
- 'Mob City': What to expect
- Frank Darabont: Back from the 'Dead'
- 'Naked and Afraid' (and awkward!)
- Tom Everett Scott joins 'Beauty and the Beast'
- Lady Gaga Muppet special a ratings turkey 1427
- Gunfight at the Not Okay Corral 681
- 'The Walking Dead' midseason finale: 'Too Far Gone' spoilers 443
- ‘Fast and Furious’ actor Paul Walker dead after car crash 394
- '12 Years a Slave': The emotional reactions that make director Steve McQueen thankful -- Q&A 356
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' casts Marcia Gay Harden as Christian Grey's mother
- 'Veronica Mars' movie gets a release date; plus, watch a clip! -- EXCLUSIVE
- Gal Gadot to star as Wonder Woman in 'Batman Vs. Superman'
- 'American Horror Story': Watch Cordelia and the 'Coven' plot Fiona's murder -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: You are My Sunshine