We’re pretty sure someone’s going to get carsick in The Long Haul, the ninth book in the Wimpy Kid franchise by Jeff Kinney. Before you ride shotgun in the Heffleys’ minivan on Nov. 4, Abrams will be handing out an excerpt tomorrow at Comic-Con — but if you can’t make it to San Diego, you can see it even earlier right here. In the exclusive excerpt below, the whole Wimpy family takes off on a road trip in Heffley style: Greg fends off a deranged seagull, Mr. Heffley fights his bridge-o-phobia, and everyone fights over the radio dial. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Excerpt (1-4 of 4)
Amazon may be making it impossible to pre-order The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K. Rowling), but Rowling is drumming up anticipation for the book on her own by releasing two chapters on robert-galbraith.com. In the excerpt, Cormoran Strike reckons with the disappearance of novelist Owen Quine, who has made enemies of many people he knows by characterizing them in unflattering ways in his books. The chapters also include references to phone hacking, an issue Rowling has addressed in real life.
Horror master Stephen King is back — and his tense, jittery new thriller, Mr. Mercedes (out June 3), pits and ex-cop against a sociopath scheming to murder thousands. Below, read an excerpt, which first appeared in the May 16 issue of Entertainment Weekly.
Back in his roomy basement workspace, Brady speaks another word. This one is chaos. On the far side of the control room is a long shelf about three feet about the floor. Ranged along it are seven laptop computers with their darkened screens flipped up. There’s also a chair on casters, so he can roll rapidly from one to another. When Brady speaks the magic word, all seven come to life. The number 20 appears on each screen, then 19, then 18. If he allows this countdown to reach zero, a suicide program will kick in, scrubbing his hard discs clean and overwriting them with gibberish. READ FULL STORY
Looking for a new middle grade series? Look no further than Carter Roy’s The Blood Guard (out now). The first in a planned trilogy, The Blood Guard follows 13-year-old Evelyn Ronan Truelove. After Ronan’s father is abducted, he learns that his mother is a member of an ancient order of knights, the Blood Guard, a secret society sworn to protect the Pure—36 special people whose purity of soul redeems the rest of humanity. Roy’s novel is a fast-paced adventure tale, that middle grade and YA readers alike will enjoy. Read on for our chat with Roy and an excerpt from The Blood Guard. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Grey's Anatomy' sneak peek: Meredith and Maggie go toe-to-toe
- 'Walking Dead': Get up to speed in 60 seconds
- Rory Gilmore Reading Project creator to dive into all 338 books named on series; 7 he's liked so far
- 'Big Bang Theory' recap: 7 favorite laugh lines
- 'Castle' season premiere: Your take on 'Driven'?
- 'Castle' boss tips us off to 5 things to look for this season
- 'The Blacklist'; 'Dancing With the Stars'; 'Gotham'; 'The Voice'; 'Sleepy Hollow'; more recaps
- 'SNL': Bill Hader on chat with Lorne Michaels about Pete Davidson ('By the way, do you want to host?')
Top 5 Most Read
- 'The Walking Dead' star Emily Kinney says there's 'definitely a connection' between Beth and Daryl
- 'Castle' season 7 premiere recap: Where in the world is Richard Castle?
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: Raining on prom night
- Tony Almeida wants out of solitary in new '24' Blu-ray feature
- 'Mythbusters': Discovery responds to fan outrage over dumping Kari Byron