It’s quite a Wednesday for book news — today’s top stories feature Jack Ryan, Catfish, and bad sex. Read on for more headlines: READ FULL STORY
Tag: Bad Sex Awards (1-2 of 2)
Eat your heart out, Fifty Shades of Grey.
Literary Review revealed its shortlist for this year’s Bad Sex in Fiction Awards — a prize that, as the name suggests, goes to the worst, most embarrassing literary passage about sex. Founded in 1993, the award is used “to draw attention to the crude, badly written, often perfunctory use of redundant passages of sexual description in the modern novel, and to discourage it.”
This year’s eight candidates include authors Woodie Guthrie, Matthew Reynolds, and Susan Choi, who all included unfortunately awkward-sounding sex scenes in their writings this year. The books, though devoid of pornographic literature, had enough cringe-worthy paragraphs to merit the, er, honor of being shortlisted.
Check out the full shortlist — and some (possibly NSFW) excerpts — below: READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Sons of Anarchy' trailer asks if Jax does bad things (Spoiler: Yes)
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur -- Blood vs. Water': Meet the 9 pairs
- 'Outlander' author Diana Gabaldon visits 18th-century Scotland: First Look
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' teaser: Fly through the air with the greatest unease
- Mark Gatiss back for more 'Game of Thrones'
- 'Walking Dead' First Look/Q&A: Seth Gilliam as Father Gabriel Stokes
- 'Walking Dead': See 4 new EW collector's covers
- 'Pretty Little Liars' finale postmortem: (Spoiler) talks 'epic death'
Top 5 Most Read
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' exclusive: New teaser takes viewers under the big top
- David Chase finally reveals Tony's fate on 'The Sopranos'
- Homer Simpson takes on the Ice Bucket Challenge
- Exclusive: 'Friends' Central Perk pop-up coffee shop hits Manhattan
- New 'Survivor' cast boasts MLB pitcher John Rocker, Spider-Man actor, and 'Amazing Race' twins