On the Books: Dreamworks acquires rights to Doris Kearns Goodwin's next book; Jane Austen portrait to be sold at auction
Happy Halloween! Below, some haunting reads and spooky lists. But in other news, Doris Kearns Goodwin's new book has been snatched up by Dreamworks for a film adaptation, while writers are bickering over an updated Jane Austen portrait.
Dreamworks has acquired the film rights to Pulitzer Prize-winning author Doris Kearns Goodwin's upcoming book The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism, about Roosevelt and Taft's friendship that became a bitter rivalry. "Doris has once again given us the best seats in the house where we can watch two dynamic American personalities in a battle for power and friendship," said Steven Spielberg in a press release. Spielberg and Goodwin previously collaborated on Lincoln, which was partly based on Goodwin's Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln.
The best-known portrait of Jane Austen will be sold for the first time at an estimated £200,000 after her family put it up for auction. [The Telegraph]
The same portrait has been place on the new £10 note, but not everyone's a fan: Jane Austen biographer Paula Byrne calls the image "a 19th century airbrushed makeover." [BBC News]
Meanwhile, writer Attica Locke won the Ernest J. Gaines Award for Literary Excellence, an award recognizing "rising African-American writers for excellence." [LA Times]
HarperCollins will be creating an e-bookstore for C.S. Lewis titles, using two Lewis websites, CSLewis.com and Narnia.com. [Publishers Weekly]
On to some must-reads: USA Today took a look back at 20 years of its best-selling books list and explores what the titles mean for the way we read. [USA Today]
In the spirit of Halloween, here's a list of 15 spooky must-read books. [The Telegraph]
...And here's an essay on literature's haunted houses. Trick or treat! [The Guardian]
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' quiz: Test your smarts
- 'Homeland' casts Broadway star Victoria Clark in big surprise role
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- 'Mockingjay': Hear Jennifer Lawrence sing 'The Hanging Tree'
- 'Hobbit' First Look: Billy Boyd music video for the 'Last Goodbye' closing theme
- 'Amazing Race'; 'Constantine'; more TV recaps
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' boss talks THAT killer twist
- Britney Spears, Gwyneth Paltrow accept Jimmy Kimmel's invite to read Mean Tweets
Top 5 Most Read
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- Natalie Dormer advocates for more male nudity on 'Game of Thrones'
- Cher cancels rest of 'Dressed to Kill' tour dates due to infection
- 'Mockingjay -- Part 1': The 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- 'Sons of Anarchy' star Jimmy Smits talks Nero's heartbreaking scenes