If Tina Fey’s New Yorker essay “Confessions of a Juggler” is a taste of what’s to come in her upcoming book Bossypants, we’ll be getting what we’ve come to expect of her: razor-sharp observation delivered with trademark prickly wit. Her writing here isn’t quite what you’d expect of a typical comedian’s book—there are a number of joke-free paragraphs, and, like Liz Lemon, Fey the author isn’t afraid to pontificate. She covers a lot of ground in a few short pages: the trials of being an extraordinarily busy working mom; women over 40 in Hollywood; having children later in life. Individually, the topics are nothing groundbreaking, but the smart-girl humor and Fey’s relatable honesty makes the piece readable and laugh-out-loud funny. Her rundown of the types of roles Hollywood gives women of a certain age is the centerpiece of the story for me: a villainous boss; several different types of overworked women, a lesbian therapist in “Disregarding Joy,” a desperate cougar-type in “The Wedding Creeper” in which she falls in love with a handsome videographer played by Gerard Butler … Brilliant! The essay is a taste, but not enough. Come April 15th, I’ll be shelling out way too much money for the book, despite the scary cover.
After a taste of Tina Fey's prose in 'The New Yorker', we want more!
Latest Videos in Books
- 'True Detective' finale: Talk about it
- HBO GO problems hit 'True Detective'
- 'Resurrection' premiere: Will you return?
- 'Once Upon a Time' recap: 'New York City Serenade'
- 'Cosmos': Past vs. present, toward a better future?
- 'Looking' creator on season 1 finale and beyond
- 'Once Upon a Time': Jennifer Morrison on Emma in Oz
- Lena Dunham hosts 'SNL': 'Girls' night
Top 5 Most Read
- Fox renews 'Mindy Project,' 'The Following,' more
- 'SNL' recap: Lena Dunham is just a girl, standing in front of an audience, asking them to like her
- Jennifer Lawrence's best friend wrote a behind-the-scenes account of Oscars night
- Stacy Keibler marries tech entrepreneur Jared Pobre
- 'Cosmos' then and now: The 'personal voyage' of Carl Sagan,…