If Tina Fey’s New Yorker essay “Confessions of a Juggler” is a taste of what’s to come in her upcoming book Bossypants, we’ll be getting what we’ve come to expect of her: razor-sharp observation delivered with trademark prickly wit. Her writing here isn’t quite what you’d expect of a typical comedian’s book—there are a number of joke-free paragraphs, and, like Liz Lemon, Fey the author isn’t afraid to pontificate. She covers a lot of ground in a few short pages: the trials of being an extraordinarily busy working mom; women over 40 in Hollywood; having children later in life. Individually, the topics are nothing groundbreaking, but the smart-girl humor and Fey’s relatable honesty makes the piece readable and laugh-out-loud funny. Her rundown of the types of roles Hollywood gives women of a certain age is the centerpiece of the story for me: a villainous boss; several different types of overworked women, a lesbian therapist in “Disregarding Joy,” a desperate cougar-type in “The Wedding Creeper” in which she falls in love with a handsome videographer played by Gerard Butler … Brilliant! The essay is a taste, but not enough. Come April 15th, I’ll be shelling out way too much money for the book, despite the scary cover.
After a taste of Tina Fey's prose in 'The New Yorker', we want more!
Latest Videos in Books
- 'SNL' with Cameron Diaz, Bruno Mars, and Mark Ronson is on: Talk about it
- Tyler James Williams' 'Walking Dead' preview: 'We're going back to get the squad'
- 'Hobbit' First Look: Billy Boyd music video for the 'Last Goodbye' closing theme
- Stephen Merchant answers burning Q's about 'Hello Ladies: The Movie' (including THAT cameo)
- 20 platonic movie/TV power couples
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': A movie, or just an extended prologue for the movie yet to come?
- 'Mockingjay': Hear Jennifer Lawrence sing 'The Hanging Tree'
Top 5 Most Read
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- Natalie Dormer advocates for more male nudity on 'Game of Thrones'
- 'Mockingjay -- Part 1': The 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- Cher cancels rest of 'Dressed to Kill' tour dates due to infection
- Tina Fey's NBC comedy moving to Netflix