In Mockingjay, the riveting final installment of her addictively readable postapocalyptic Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins introduces readers to District 13, the underground city that has become the headquarters of the resistance movement. At the center of the impending war with the oppressive Capitol is, of course, Katniss Everdeen, the 17-year old heroine who chooses—despite her reservations—to be the very symbol of the uprising, the Mockingjay. But becoming the face of the rebels’ video propaganda efforts doesn’t come easily, since Katniss doesn’t fully trust their motives. She’s also riddled with guilt, believing that her actions in the previous games led to the destruction of her home and the capture of her ally Peeta. Fans will be happy to hear that Mockingjay is every bit as complex and imaginative as Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Collins has kicked the brutal violence up a notch in an edge-of-your-seat plot that follows Katniss as she tries to fulfill her role, protect her mother and sister and, in the end, finally choose between her two greatest loves. B+
'Mockingjay' review: Spoiler alert!
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': How big at the box office?
- 'Big Brother' recap: Evicted houseguest is...
- 'Project Runway' recap: Unconventional movie night
- 'Honorable Woman': Thriller deals deftly with a complex subject
- 'The Quest' premiere: Bored game
- Comic-Con: Why Team 'Twilight' made it better
- DC Comics characters we'd invite to the 'Arrow'/'Flash' party
- Chris Hardwick shares his Comic-Con '14 photo diary
- STAHP in the name of love 966
- DON'T PUBLISH See FIVE minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO 595
- Enough, already: Why I'm quitting 'The Leftovers' 460
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams and other directors are working to save movie film 335
- Box office report: 'Lucy' slays 'Hercules' with $44 million debut 285
Top 5 Most Read
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams, and other directors are trying to save Kodak
- Dick Smith, makeup artist of 'The Godfather,' 'The Exorcist': A tribute
- Box office preview: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' aims for a cosmic debut
- Sony releases surprise NSync album; NSync is surprised
- Movie Review: Guardians of the Galaxy