Hyperion has signed Melissa de la Cruz — whose Blue Bloods vampire books have all been huge YA hits —to a two-book deal for an adult paranormal series. The first, The Witches of East End, will go on sale in May 2011. “It’s about a mother and two daughters who move to town and shake things up,” says de la Cruz. “There’s already a family of warlocks living there who aren’t too happy with their arrival…It’s based on old Norse mythology.” She notes that characters from Blue Bloods will show up in the books — “some in essential roles; others more tangential” and says, of her switch to adult fiction, “I’ve been writing YA books for more than a decade. Many of my fans have grown up. Now I can have more grown-up themes: One character works in a bar; another gets involved with the mayor. There are romantic entanglements that are not so innocent!”
Exclusive: Melissa de la Cruz on her new series
- 'Happy Endings' reruns to air on VH1
- 'New Year's Rockin' Eve' lineup adds four
- 'The Voice' recap: Sleepy semifinal
- 'Sing-Off' returns: First notes on 10 groups
- 15 blasts from the past in '13: Winners/losers
- Eleanor Parker, 'Sound of Music' baroness, dies
- 'Community' season 5: First trailer is here!
- 'Mentalist': A (SPOILER!) for Lisbon?
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Community': Check out the first trailer for season 5 -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- AFI movies of the year: 'Her' and '12 Years a Slave' in; 'August: Osage County' out
- 'The Voice' recap: Green Eggs and Adam
- 15 Blasts From the Past in '13: Winners/Losers
- 'The Mentalist': Lisbon's getting a [SPOILER] -- EXCLUSIVE