Hyperion has signed Melissa de la Cruz — whose Blue Bloods vampire books have all been huge YA hits —to a two-book deal for an adult paranormal series. The first, The Witches of East End, will go on sale in May 2011. “It’s about a mother and two daughters who move to town and shake things up,” says de la Cruz. “There’s already a family of warlocks living there who aren’t too happy with their arrival…It’s based on old Norse mythology.” She notes that characters from Blue Bloods will show up in the books — “some in essential roles; others more tangential” and says, of her switch to adult fiction, “I’ve been writing YA books for more than a decade. Many of my fans have grown up. Now I can have more grown-up themes: One character works in a bar; another gets involved with the mayor. There are romantic entanglements that are not so innocent!”
Exclusive: Melissa de la Cruz on her new series
Latest Videos in Books
- Gwen Stefani + 'The Voice'? Sound good to you?
- 'Lost' series finale: Carlton Cuse looks back
- Record Store Day: Droolworthy discs
- 'Animal': Feast your eyes on horror poster/trailer
- 'Scandal': Is Rowan or Cyrus the biggest creep?
- 'Petals on the Wind': First Look trailer
- Natalie Dormer talks Margaery (and a little Cressida)
- 'Castle' goes '70s: Foxy Lanie!
Top 5 Most Read
- George R.R. Martin reveals what a full-sized dragon looks like
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes
- 'Game of Thrones' Natalie Dormer teases what's next for Margaery
- 'Parks and Recreation' finale: 'Workaholics' star Blake Anderson to guest -- EXCLUSIVE
- Lindsay Lohan says 'sex list' is real, but there's an unfortunate reason…