Hyperion has signed Melissa de la Cruz — whose Blue Bloods vampire books have all been huge YA hits —to a two-book deal for an adult paranormal series. The first, The Witches of East End, will go on sale in May 2011. “It’s about a mother and two daughters who move to town and shake things up,” says de la Cruz. “There’s already a family of warlocks living there who aren’t too happy with their arrival…It’s based on old Norse mythology.” She notes that characters from Blue Bloods will show up in the books — “some in essential roles; others more tangential” and says, of her switch to adult fiction, “I’ve been writing YA books for more than a decade. Many of my fans have grown up. Now I can have more grown-up themes: One character works in a bar; another gets involved with the mayor. There are romantic entanglements that are not so innocent!”
Exclusive: Melissa de la Cruz on her new series
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Super Bowl's Greatest Commercials' is big winner in ratings
- 'Game of Thrones' IMAX ticket sales show surprising surge
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' song from Sia: Hear 'Salted Wound'
- 'Fantastic Four' trailer takes some cues from 'Interstellar'
- Larry Wilmore on 'Sniper': 'theater of war is very different than watching a film about war in a theater'
- Tyrese's 2020 vision on Instagram: Can you see him as Green Lantern?
- 'Bachelor'; 'Celebrity Apprentice'; 'Jane the Virgin'; 'Sleepy Hollow'; 'Originals'; 'Gotham' recaps
- TV pilots now in the works for fall 2015--do you spot any winners?