More than a century after L. Frank Baum’s novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, the Emerald City continues to shine brightly in pop culture. Debut novelist Danielle Paige signed a three-book and three-digital novella deal with HarperCollins. The series will start with Dorothy Must Die, described as “The Wizard of Oz meets Kill Bill“, in April 2014. In this re-imagining, a twister rips through Kansas and transports Amy Gumm — most likely inspired by Judy Garland’s birth name Frances Gumm — into Oz, which has been transformed under Dorothy’s tyrannical misrule. In a complete twist from the original, Amy must steal the Scarecrow’s brain, remove the Tin Woodman’s heart, and take the Lion’s courage. And ultimately — destroy Dorothy. READ FULL STORY
Tag: The Wizard of Oz (1-1 of 1)
- Best/worst of '13: See new EW cover
- 'The Voice' recap: Tessanne Chin wins!
- 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine': Post-Super Bowl scoop
- 'Fault In Our Stars': Tagline too glib?
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on gays and 'sin'; GLAAD slams
- 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes': Ruthless Caesar
- 'Voice': Tessanne and Adam talk future
- 'Voice': Jacquie and Will have their say