It’s time to fangirl because Fangirl author Rainbow Rowell has signed a two-book deal with First Second. She’ll be writing two as-yet-untitled graphic novels which will be YA prose fiction, in the same vein as the aforementioned Fangirl and Printz Honor winner Eleanor & Park. The books were acquired for First Second by Senior Editor Calista Brill. Are you fangirling yet? Because we are.
Tag: Rainbow Rowell (1-4 of 4)
On the Books: J.K. Rowling talks single parenthood; National Book Foundation unveils nonfiction longlist
J.K. Rowling pens an essay on life as a single parent, while Jeff Lindsay takes a look at what Dexter Morgan would keep on his bookshelves. In other news, which authors signed new deals? Is poetry useless? Scroll for more of today’s top books headlines below:
Jeff Lindsay, the mind behind Dexter, talks what a serial killer reads in an interview for Bookish. [Bookish]
The National Book Foundation continues its rollout of longlists. Today’s installment features nonfiction authors, with nine of the 10 authors receiving NBA recognition for the first time. [NBF]
Fangirl author Rainbow Rowell says parents in the Minneapolis area asked that her YA novel Eleanor & Park to be removed from library shelves. [The Toast]
Jamaican singer, actress and model Grace Jones is writing a memoir to be published by Gallery Books. “I wrote a song called ‘Art Groupie.’ First line said, ‘I’ll never write my memoirs’; that was a long time ago,” Jones says in a press release. “Since then, I thought, if I don’t do it, somebody else will.” The memoir is set to hit shelves in fall 2014.
Vikram Seth found a new publisher for his novel A Suitable Girl, Weidenfeld and Nicolson, which will publish the novel in 2016, after Seth’s deal with Penguin fell through. [New York Times]
In other deal-related news, best-selling fantasy author Terry Pratchett struck a 10-book, seven-figure one with Doubleday and Anchor Books. The first book in the series, Raising Steam, to be released in March. [New York Times]
Meanwhile, the media world’s revolving door continues to spin, as Nancy Gibbs is named the first-ever woman editor of Time magazine, succeeding Rick Stengel for the job. [TIME]
Today’s must-read essay: Noah Berlatsky tackles the question, “Is poetry useless?” [The Atlantic]
…And today’s must-read list: USA Today asked Twitter followers to share their favorite underrated female sleuths in literature. Among the winners: Lucy Pym, Flavia de Luce, Trixie Belden. [USA Today]
Lastly, check out the trailer for the latest adaptation of Charles Dickens’ Great Expectations, starring Helena Bonham-Carter as Miss Havisham. [LA Times]
One of my favorite books of the year, Rainbow Rowell’s Fangirl, hit shelves yesterday. And now that it’s officially out, I’m fairly confident I won’t be the only one fangirling over Rowell’s second Young Adult novel. If you’re a, um, fan of Rowell’s then you probably already know she has a big presence on Tumblr. So it’s really no surprise that Fangirl was chosen as the first selection in the brand-new Reblog Book Club, the all-new official Tumblr book club. READ FULL STORY
Fans of Attachments author Rainbow Rowell, rejoice! Rowell makes her YA debut with Eleanor & Park (out today), which Rowell describes as a combination of Juno, Romeo and Juliet, and a few choice episodes of Dawson’s Creek. (“Minus pregnancy, poison, and Dawson” natch.) Here, Rowell answers some of our burning questions about the novel. After that, click through to read an exclusive excerpt of Eleanor & Park. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Covert Affairs': Chris Gorham on latest for Auggie
- Chris Harrison's 'Bachelorette' blog: 'Men Tell All'
- Anthony Hopkins joins HBO's 'Westworld'
- Prince George: We know THAT look...
- 'Walking Dead': Carol, Judith, Rick in 2 new pics
- 'Simpsons' marathon promo: Can the world survive it?
- 'Sons of Anarchy' ending: Kurt Sutter says...
- Kate Hudson shares her favorite 'Overboard' lines
- 'Two and a Half Men' final season to tackle 'gay' adoption 629
- 'Lost cause' 411
- Captain America is black, Thor is a woman, and Iron Man has a new costume: Witness Avengers NOW! 507
- 'Doctor Who': Which episode should newbies check out first? 421
- 'Dating Naked' reveals disappointingly small ratings 285
Top 5 Most Read
- 'The Walking Dead': See Carol, Judith and Rick in exclusive new season 5 images
- Robert Downey, Jr. tops Forbes' list of highest paid actors once again
- Why 'Rocky IV' is the best fight -- Ever!
- 'Sons of Anarchy' creator says series ending not yet decided
- Kacy Catanzaro would happily hit the 'American Ninja Warrior' obstacle course with Stephen Amell