A new competition is trying to drum up pop cultural fervor for contemporary authors and it has the splashy title of Literary Death Match. You really shouldn’t need anymore info than that to buy tickets. But I’ll give you details anyway. Their poster says: “4 authors, 3 judges, 2 finalists, 1 epic finale (and a bunch of really attractive lit-nerds).” I mean, done and done. Their website elaborates further, Literary Death Match “marries the literary and performative aspects of Def Poetry Jam, rapier-witted quips of American Idol’s judging (without any meanness), and the ridiculousness and hilarity of Double Dare.” So throw in Legends of the Hidden Temple obstacles and I promise to watch this and nothing else for the rest of the year. [NPR] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Philip Roth (1-3 of 3)
Author Philip Roth is famous for exploiting his private life for material in his writing, but the upcoming PBS documentary American Masters: Philip Roth: Unmasked (airing Mar. 29, 9 p.m.) will reveal the iconic writer’s thoughts on many subjects without the veil of fiction. In honor of Roth’s 80th birthday, admirers such as Jonathan Franzen and Mia Farrow also weigh in on his work and influence. Below is a clip in which Roth talks about the confessional nature of Portnoy’s Complaint — watch until the end to see his sharp sense of humor on display. READ FULL STORY
Philip Roth, one of America’s most celebrated novelists and author of Portnoy’s Complaint and The Human Stain, has officially retired from writing. In an interview with the French publication Les inRocks, Roth was quoted as saying his 2010 novel Nemesis will be his last book. Roth’s publisher confirmed the interview’s accuracy for Salon.com. According to Salon’s translation, Roth, now 79, reread his favorite novels and then compared them to his own work because he wanted to see if he’d “wasted my time writing.” Satisfied that he hadn’t, he decided he’d devoted enough of his life to fiction.
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Survivor' season finale recap: The right one won
- 'Fargo' season 2 scoop, including a peek at a page from the premiere's script
- 'Game of Thrones' refashions Arya's look
- 'Survivor' season finale: 5 Q's for Jeff Probst and a deleted scene
- 'Survivor' season 30 scoop: Jeff Probst shares new details on 'Worlds Apart'
- 'Ascension' finale: Lost in space, or 'Lost' in space?
- 'The Sing-Off' holiday special: One night, six groups, 800 blazers--and the winner is...
- David Letterman takes on the Sony hack by reading 'leaked emails'
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst reacts to the winner, Reed's harsh comments, and the entire season
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur' finale: And the winner is...
- 'Survivor' season finale recap: The Right Person Won
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart': Jeff Probst gives exclusive intel on NEXT season
- 'Ascension' finale review: Lost in space, or 'Lost' in space?