A new competition is trying to drum up pop cultural fervor for contemporary authors and it has the splashy title of Literary Death Match. You really shouldn’t need anymore info than that to buy tickets. But I’ll give you details anyway. Their poster says: “4 authors, 3 judges, 2 finalists, 1 epic finale (and a bunch of really attractive lit-nerds).” I mean, done and done. Their website elaborates further, Literary Death Match “marries the literary and performative aspects of Def Poetry Jam, rapier-witted quips of American Idol’s judging (without any meanness), and the ridiculousness and hilarity of Double Dare.” So throw in Legends of the Hidden Temple obstacles and I promise to watch this and nothing else for the rest of the year. [NPR] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Philip Roth (1-3 of 3)
Author Philip Roth is famous for exploiting his private life for material in his writing, but the upcoming PBS documentary American Masters: Philip Roth: Unmasked (airing Mar. 29, 9 p.m.) will reveal the iconic writer’s thoughts on many subjects without the veil of fiction. In honor of Roth’s 80th birthday, admirers such as Jonathan Franzen and Mia Farrow also weigh in on his work and influence. Below is a clip in which Roth talks about the confessional nature of Portnoy’s Complaint — watch until the end to see his sharp sense of humor on display. READ FULL STORY
Philip Roth, one of America’s most celebrated novelists and author of Portnoy’s Complaint and The Human Stain, has officially retired from writing. In an interview with the French publication Les inRocks, Roth was quoted as saying his 2010 novel Nemesis will be his last book. Roth’s publisher confirmed the interview’s accuracy for Salon.com. According to Salon’s translation, Roth, now 79, reread his favorite novels and then compared them to his own work because he wanted to see if he’d “wasted my time writing.” Satisfied that he hadn’t, he decided he’d devoted enough of his life to fiction.
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Sleepy Hollow' sneak peek: Ichabod Crane meets a naked Ben Franklin
- 'Once Upon a Time' boss on 'Frozen' references: 'We want it to feel organic'
- 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Castle,' more fresh TV spoilers
- Jennifer Love Hewitt joins the BAU in new 'Criminal Minds' art
- J.Lo and Iggy Azalea extend the Summer of Butts with 'Booty' remix video
- 'The Knick' recap: 'Start Calling Me Dad'
- 'Super Smash Bros.': The best/worst thing ever to happen to Nintendo
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Shonda Rhimes puts Callie-Arizona odds at 50/50
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Into the Woods' character names not getting Disney makeover (Updated)
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- 'Once Upon a Time': Will Elsa 'Let It Go'? Or build a snowman?
- J-Lo and Iggy continue the Summer of Butts with 'Booty' remix video
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Castle' and more