A new competition is trying to drum up pop cultural fervor for contemporary authors and it has the splashy title of Literary Death Match. You really shouldn’t need anymore info than that to buy tickets. But I’ll give you details anyway. Their poster says: “4 authors, 3 judges, 2 finalists, 1 epic finale (and a bunch of really attractive lit-nerds).” I mean, done and done. Their website elaborates further, Literary Death Match “marries the literary and performative aspects of Def Poetry Jam, rapier-witted quips of American Idol’s judging (without any meanness), and the ridiculousness and hilarity of Double Dare.” So throw in Legends of the Hidden Temple obstacles and I promise to watch this and nothing else for the rest of the year. [NPR] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Philip Roth (1-3 of 3)
Author Philip Roth is famous for exploiting his private life for material in his writing, but the upcoming PBS documentary American Masters: Philip Roth: Unmasked (airing Mar. 29, 9 p.m.) will reveal the iconic writer’s thoughts on many subjects without the veil of fiction. In honor of Roth’s 80th birthday, admirers such as Jonathan Franzen and Mia Farrow also weigh in on his work and influence. Below is a clip in which Roth talks about the confessional nature of Portnoy’s Complaint — watch until the end to see his sharp sense of humor on display. READ FULL STORY
Philip Roth, one of America’s most celebrated novelists and author of Portnoy’s Complaint and The Human Stain, has officially retired from writing. In an interview with the French publication Les inRocks, Roth was quoted as saying his 2010 novel Nemesis will be his last book. Roth’s publisher confirmed the interview’s accuracy for Salon.com. According to Salon’s translation, Roth, now 79, reread his favorite novels and then compared them to his own work because he wanted to see if he’d “wasted my time writing.” Satisfied that he hadn’t, he decided he’d devoted enough of his life to fiction.
Latest Videos in Books
- Super Bowl ads of 2015: Watch the early arrivals here
- 'Vampire Diaries' date night? Watch Damon ask Elena out in sneak peek
- 'Empire' is on fire, but should we be sweating burn-out?
- 'Party Down South' season 3 peek: Meet Hannah, the new hell-raiser
- 'Parenthood': 10 best episodes
- 'Game of Thrones' creators watching the show in IMAX: Why it's 'the way it's really meant to be seen'
- 'Walking Dead': Daryl, Eugene, and Rosita super-intense in new photos
- 'Bachelor' seminar: Prof. Jimmy Kimmel breaks down Chris Soules' response to Britt
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Grey's Anatomy' boss teases new doctors and new relationships
- Jimmy Kimmel breaks down Chris Soules' speech from 'The Bachelor'
- 'Walking Dead' actor joins 'Criminal Minds' spinoff
- 'Arrow' star Katie Cassidy on suiting up as Black Canary: 'It's messy'
- Daryl, Eugene, and Rosita look super-intense in new 'Walking Dead' photos -- exclusive