You better hope you haven’t been nominated for any book prizes this year. (No, not really. Let’s hope you have.) A new study coming out in the March issue of Administrative Science Quarterly finds that prize winners face a backlash from readers. According to The Guardian, Amanda Sharkey and Balázs Kovács looked at 38,817 reader reviews on GoodReads.com. They compared the reviews of books that had won an award to reviews of books that had not. Apparently the reviews of the award winners took a notable nose dive after their authors’ accolades were announced. Sharkey and Kovács hypothesized that “many readers who are drawn in by prize-winning books tend to have tastes that are simply not predisposed to liking the types of books that win prizes.” That sounds like a circumspect way of calling us superficial social climbers for reading a book because it won an award. Doesn’t everyone presume something award-winning must be particularly outstanding and therefore worthy of our time? That doesn’t mean every book that wins a Booker Prize or every movie that wins an Oscar or every restaurant that wins a James Beard Award is going to be your favorite thing ever, but still it’s worth a shot. Also, checking Goodreads.com for your case study seems pretty amateur. What do you guys think? [The Guardian]
Tag: Olympics (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Vikings' Comic-Con comic book: We've got the cover
- 'Walking Dead': Carol, Judith, Rick in 2 new pics
- Neneh Cherry's back, not aiming for 'trendy'
- Kacy Catanzaro talks 'Ninja Warrior' whirlwind
- 'Arrow': 'We believe in accelerated storytelling'
- Batman's best stories: 9 that shine
- 'Sons of Anarchy' ending: Kurt Sutter says...
- Mark Ruffalo talks potential for a 'Hulk' movie
- 'Two and a Half Men' final season to tackle 'gay' adoption 628
- 'Lost cause' 399
- Captain America is black, Thor is a woman, and Iron Man has a new costume: Witness Avengers NOW! 504
- 'Doctor Who': Which episode should newbies check out first? 421
- 'Dating Naked' reveals disappointingly small ratings 285
Top 5 Most Read
- Robert Downey, Jr. tops Forbes' list of highest paid actors once again
- 'The Walking Dead': See Carol, Judith and Rick in exclusive new season 5 images
- 'Sons of Anarchy' creator says series ending not yet decided
- Kacy Catanzaro would happily hit the 'American Ninja Warrior' obstacle course with Stephen Amell
- Mark Ruffalo on the foe Hulk needs for a stand-alone movie