Today’s news includes confirmed deals for Willie Nelson and Morrissey’s autobiographies, while Amazon and Barnes & Noble unveil more digital features. Read on for today’s headlines: READ FULL STORY
Tag: Nook (1-3 of 3)
Barnes & Noble Inc. is releasing a new Nook e-book reader for the holidays, while it evaluates the future of tablet computers.
Nook tablets haven’t sold well amid intense competition with Apple’s iPad, Amazon’s Kindle Fire and others. Barnes & Noble had a slim 2 percent share of the worldwide tablet market in the fourth quarter of 2012, but fell off IDC’s top 5 list this year. READ FULL STORY
Barnes & Noble deepened its inroads into the tablet market with two new devices unveiled yesterday in Manhattan: the Nook HD ($199) and Nook HD Plus ($269). In private presentations to the press, executives for the bookseller made frequent comparisons between the 7-inch Nook HD and Amazon’s Kindle Fire and the 9-inch Nook HD Plus and the iPad 3.
Both devices are available for pre-order today and will ship in November, in time for the Holiday season.
While the devices boast several tablet functions — including video, apps, e-mail, and web-browsing — representatives emphasized that reading is what B&N does best. The tablets are designed to facilitate one-handed reading better than its competitors, based on research into the average size of a woman’s hand. The devices promise to be the lightest tablets on the market; the 9-inch HD Plus weighs 20 percent less than the comparably sized iPad, and in fact is closer in weight to the 7-inch Kindle. The Plus offers 10 hours of battery life for reading and 9.5 hours for watching video. Both devices have expandable memory — up to 64 GB — but neither comes equipped with 3G, 4G, or GPS.
Latest Videos in Books
- Batman's best stories: 9 that shine
- 'Gotham': Robin Lord Taylor talks Oswald Cobblepot
- 'Walking Dead': Carol, Judith, Rick in 2 new pics
- 'Sons of Anarchy' ending: Kurt Sutter says...
- Toronto Film Festival lineup announced
- 'Lost' alum to visit 'Hawaii Five-0'
- Kacy Catanzaro talks 'Ninja Warrior' whirlwind
- 'Wish I Was Here': Zach Braff tries to be a better man
- 'Two and a Half Men' final season to tackle 'gay' adoption 625
- 'Lost cause' 383
- Captain America is black, Thor is a woman, and Iron Man has a new costume: Witness Avengers NOW! 504
- 'Doctor Who': Which episode should newbies check out first? 421
- 'Dating Naked' reveals disappointingly small ratings 285
Top 5 Most Read
- Robert Downey, Jr. tops Forbes' list of highest paid actors once again
- 'The Walking Dead': See Carol, Judith and Rick in exclusive new season 5 images
- Kacy Catanzaro would happily hit the 'American Ninja Warrior' obstacle course with Stephen Amell
- 'Sons of Anarchy' creator says series ending not yet decided
- Mark Ruffalo on the foe Hulk needs for a stand-alone movie