Thought you heard the last of Bridget Jones, the MacArthur “genius” grants, or the Man Booker Prize? Think again. Here are today’s top books headlines to kick off October: READ FULL STORY
Tag: MacArthur Foundation (1-2 of 2)
On the Books: Amazon updates Kindle, Fire OS; authors Karen Russell, Donald Antrim receive $625,000 MacArthur grants
What’s Amazon’s latest for the Kindle? Who received the MacArthur “genius” grants this year? Those books headlines and more questions for you to ponder below:
Amazon announced new Kindle tablets — the 7″ Kindle Fire HDX — will begin shipping October 18. The company will also release an updated Fire OS, dubbed “Mojito,” which includes new features like Second Screen and the Mayday button. [AllThingsD]
Authors Karen Russell and Donald Antrim are among 24 MacArthur “genius” fellows, each receiving $625,000 from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation to use however they like. [NPR]
In other awards news, poet Alice Oswald won the 2013 Warwick Prize for Memorial, her retelling of Homer. [The Telegraph]
William Boyd, author of the latest James Bond novel, says Bond Girls should be called “Bond Women.” Discuss. [The Telegraph]
Also up for discussion: Do fictional characters have to be likable for us to fall in love with them? Writers Mohsin Hamid and Zoe Heller tackle the question. [New York Times]
Speaking of formerly likable fictional characters, Walter White’s Walt Whitman book from Breaking Bad is up for auction. [LA Times]
Paris Review co-founder and novelist Peter Matthiessen’s book, In Paradise, about a group of people who “come together for a weeklong meditation retreat at the site of a World War II concentration camp,” will be published by Riverhead Books this spring, according to a press release.
No need to blush, romance novel readers. A study found that fans of romance novels are more sensitive, meaning they’re more capable of “reading subtle facial cues, and picking up on the emotions they express.” (And on a related note, ICYMI: E.L. James is producing a line of wines inspired by Fifty Shades of Grey.) [Pacific Standard]
Finally, are you keeping up with Banned Books Week? Join its Twitter party at noon with the hashtag #bannedbooksweek, and check out some other events on their site. [Banned Books Week]
- 15 blasts from the past in '13: Winners/losers
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' role for Callum Keith Rennie
- Eleanor Parker, 'Sound of Music' baroness, dies
- 'Mentalist': A (SPOILER!) for Lisbon?
- Channing Tatum in 'Jupiter Ascending': First trailer
- Britney's 'Chaotic' revisited: 5 cringeworthy clips
- 'Duck Dynasty' Xmas preview: 'Let's go get a hog!'
- 'Community' season 5: First trailer is here!
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Community': Check out the first trailer for season 5 -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- Bob Barker returning to 'Price Is Right,' first promo
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Check out the sickening season 6 supertease and meet the queens -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- New 'Fifty Shades' pic shows Ana kissing Christian -- PHOTO
- 'The Amazing Race' recap: The Final Frontier