It’s a weird collection of book news this Monday. To start with, Jimmy Carter has a new book, A Call to Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power, which hits shelves tomorrow. The 39th President has published more than 25 books during his career, covering everything from history to politics to “The Virtues of Aging.” But his newest book is on the subjugation of women around the world, looking closely at how religion is used as a tool of oppression. NPR interviewed the former president this weekend and you can listen to an excerpt on their website.
Tag: Louise Erdrich (1-2 of 2)
Louise Erdrich’s novel The Round House is among the winners this year of an American Book Award, which celebrates the diversity of the country’s literature.
Others among the 34 honored at a ceremony this weekend at the Miami Book Fair International included Philip P. Choy’s San Francisco Chinatown: A Guide To Its History & Architecture and Judy Grahn’s A Simple Revolution: The Making of an Activist Poet.
Critic Greil Marcus won for lifetime achievement. Natalie Diaz’s poetry collection When My Brother Was an Aztec and Will Alexander’s book of essays Singing in Magnetic Hoofbeat also won prizes.
There were no cash awards or individual competitive categories.
The awards were established in 1980 by the Before Columbus Foundation, a nonprofit organization founded by author-poet-playwright Ishmael Reed that promotes multicultural literature.
Latest Videos in Books
- 'St. Vincent' director's long road to Bill Murray: 'Can you meet me at LAX in an hour?'
- 'Big Brother'; 'So You Think You Can Dance'; 'Top Chef Duels': TV recaps
- 'Suits' boss talks what's next for Louis and Co. after 'This Is Rome'
- 'Simpsons' writers share 15 tips to survive your 12-day marathon session
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Kurt Sutter reveals how many club members will die
- 'Spider-Woman #1' comic book cover art backlash: Heroine cheek?
- EWwy Awards 2014 winners are...
- #DontKillSeanBean: 'Legends' star on his mastery of on-screen demise
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Simpsons' writers explain how to survive FXX's 552-episode marathon
- Angelina Jolie on 'Unbroken': This story is 'a giant responsibility'
- Lady Gaga, Chris Pratt, and more take the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- Kurt Sutter reveals how many 'Sons of Anarchy' club members will die
- David Letterman airs Robin Williams tribute