Reviews are pouring in for Hillary Clinton’s new memoir Hard Choices, and they’re all over the map. Robin Abcarian at the Los Angeles Times writes that the book “leaves no room for doubt about how she might conduct foreign policy (pragmatically), how she will defend herself against charges that she mishandled the attack on the American compound in Benghazi, Libya (robustly) and about how much she regrets giving President George W. Bush carte blanche to wage war against Iraq (deeply and eternally).” Michiko Kakutani over at the New York Times calls it “a subtle, finely calibrated work that provides a portrait of the former secretary of state and former first lady as a heavy-duty policy wonk” and compares it favorably to Clinton’s 2003 book, Living History. On the other hand, Isaac Chotiner at The New Republic refutes Kakutani, saying her review is filled with generalizations. He writes, “if Kakutani is going to make claims for the book’s merits, she must follow through on her generic praise, and offer some sense of what is valuable in the book, or at least some sense of what she enjoyed about it.” And at Slate, critic John Dickerson says it’s filled with “safe, methodical writing.” In keeping with tradition, Clinton doesn’t reveal whether she’s running for president in 2016. Okay, Hillary; whatever you say. READ FULL STORY
Tag: James Joyce (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Doctor Who': Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman EW portraits
- 'Goldfinch' movie: Let's pick our dream cast
- 'Into the Woods': 10 new production photos
- 'Interstellar': Comic-Con trailer lands online
- Daniel Radcliffe: How Spider-Man let him be a fly on the wall in S.D.
- 'Divergent' disturbing deleted scene: Get an eyeful
- Comic-Con 2014 star portraits
- 'Walking Dead': Andrew Lincoln on Rick juggling brutality/humanity
Top 5 Most Read
- Allison Williams to play Peter Pan in NBC's 'Peter Pan Live'
- 'The Walking Dead' cast and producers promise that 'every single thing in the first episode is a spoiler'
- TV Land orders Jim Gaffigan's CBS sitcom pilot to series
- What does an episode of 'Friends' look like without any jokes?
- Comic-Con '14 Star Portraits: Day 3