Reviews are pouring in for Hillary Clinton’s new memoir Hard Choices, and they’re all over the map. Robin Abcarian at the Los Angeles Times writes that the book “leaves no room for doubt about how she might conduct foreign policy (pragmatically), how she will defend herself against charges that she mishandled the attack on the American compound in Benghazi, Libya (robustly) and about how much she regrets giving President George W. Bush carte blanche to wage war against Iraq (deeply and eternally).” Michiko Kakutani over at the New York Times calls it “a subtle, finely calibrated work that provides a portrait of the former secretary of state and former first lady as a heavy-duty policy wonk” and compares it favorably to Clinton’s 2003 book, Living History. On the other hand, Isaac Chotiner at The New Republic refutes Kakutani, saying her review is filled with generalizations. He writes, “if Kakutani is going to make claims for the book’s merits, she must follow through on her generic praise, and offer some sense of what is valuable in the book, or at least some sense of what she enjoyed about it.” And at Slate, critic John Dickerson says it’s filled with “safe, methodical writing.” In keeping with tradition, Clinton doesn’t reveal whether she’s running for president in 2016. Okay, Hillary; whatever you say. READ FULL STORY
Tag: James Joyce (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Sons of Anarchy' ending: Kurt Sutter says...
- 'Bachelorette' recap: 'The Men Tell All'
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' tone?
- Kacy Catanzaro talks 'Ninja Warrior' whirlwind
- Mark Ruffalo talks potential for a 'Hulk' movie
- 'Simpsons': Dates for character death, 'Futurama'
- 'Walking Dead': Why Norman Reedus feared for Daryl
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': 8 new photos
- 'Two and a Half Men' final season to tackle 'gay' adoption 624
- Captain America is black, Thor is a woman, and Iron Man has a new costume: Witness Avengers NOW! 502
- 'Doctor Who': Which episode should newbies check out first? 419
- 'Lost cause' 317
- 'Dating Naked' reveals disappointingly small ratings 284
Top 5 Most Read
- Robert Downey, Jr. tops Forbes' list of highest paid actors once again
- 'Sons of Anarchy' creator says series ending not yet decided
- J.K. Rowling plans to write more about Cormoran Strike than Harry Potter
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' to be less campy than 'Coven,' FX chief says
- 'Simpsons' character will die in season 26 premiere; 'Futurama' crossover to air in November