Author George R.R. Martin knows a thing or two about good fantasy stories: He wrote the extremely successful series, A Song of Fire and Ice — you may have heard of a little show called Game of Thrones based on the series. See what fantasy novels Martin enjoys (and thinks others should be enjoying more) below:
Tag: Jack Vance (1-2 of 2)
Jack Vance, an award-winning mystery, fantasy, and science fiction author who wrote more than 60 books, has died. He was 96.
Vance died Sunday evening at his home in Oakland, his son John Vance II told the Associated Press.
Jack Vance, whose legal name was John Holbrook, published most of his work as Jack Vance, but he also wrote 11 mysteries as John Holbrook Vance and three as Ellery Queen, as well as books under the pen names of Alan Wade, Peter Held, John van See and Jay Kavanse, according to the Jack Vance website, which is maintained by family and friends.
“This is a complex guy, and (there’s) an awful lot to say about him,” John Vance told the AP.
In 2009, a profile in the New York Times Magazine described Vance as “one of American literature’s most distinctive and undervalued voices,” according to the website. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Into the Woods' First Look: New photos, concept art, and inside dish
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' trailer: What we saw
- 'Survivor' recap: Resetting the game
- 'Arrow'; 'Top Chef'; 'The 100'; 'Kingdom'; more TV recaps
- Disney animated films: Best/worst
- 'Game of Thrones' season 5: 7 rumors debunked
- 'Agents of SHIELD' First Look: Adrianne Palicki as Mockingbird
- Nina Dobrev's crossover to 'The Originals': 5 new photos
Top 5 Most Read
- This week's cover: 'Into the Woods' enchants EW's holiday movie preview
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' trailer is here: What we learned
- WIll Smith bringing 'Hitch' comedy series to Fox
- 'Into the Woods' First Look: New Photos, Concept Art, and Inside Dish
- See Adrianne Palicki of 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' in super-spy mode as Mockingbird