Reviews are pouring in for Hillary Clinton’s new memoir Hard Choices, and they’re all over the map. Robin Abcarian at the Los Angeles Times writes that the book “leaves no room for doubt about how she might conduct foreign policy (pragmatically), how she will defend herself against charges that she mishandled the attack on the American compound in Benghazi, Libya (robustly) and about how much she regrets giving President George W. Bush carte blanche to wage war against Iraq (deeply and eternally).” Michiko Kakutani over at the New York Times calls it “a subtle, finely calibrated work that provides a portrait of the former secretary of state and former first lady as a heavy-duty policy wonk” and compares it favorably to Clinton’s 2003 book, Living History. On the other hand, Isaac Chotiner at The New Republic refutes Kakutani, saying her review is filled with generalizations. He writes, “if Kakutani is going to make claims for the book’s merits, she must follow through on her generic praise, and offer some sense of what is valuable in the book, or at least some sense of what she enjoyed about it.” And at Slate, critic John Dickerson says it’s filled with “safe, methodical writing.” In keeping with tradition, Clinton doesn’t reveal whether she’s running for president in 2016. Okay, Hillary; whatever you say. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Dubliners (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Into the Woods' featurette: Go behind the scenes with Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep, and Co.
- 'Into the Woods' First Look: New photos, concept art, and inside dish
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' trailer: 5 quick takeaways
- Brad Pitt talks 'Fury' (or is that 'Furry'?) on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Marvel adds a new piece to its teaser art puzzle: 'Inhumans: Attilan Rising'
- Kiera Cass' 'The Heir': See the cover art for new Selection novel
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' First Look: Watch Annalise confront Sam
- 'Revenge' sneak peek: Tattoo guy makes David Clarke a marked man
Top 5 Most Read
- This week's cover: 'Into the Woods' enchants EW's holiday movie preview
- 'Game of Thrones' season 5 rumors debunked
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' trailer is here: What we learned
- Zach Galifianakis gets a little too real with Brad Pitt on 'Between Two Ferns'
- WIll Smith bringing 'Hitch' comedy series to Fox