Looking for dark and eerie read to cap off the end of the summer season? Look no further than April Genevieve Tucholke’s YA debut, Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (out today). From the official description: “Nothing much exciting rolls through Violet White’s sleepy, seaside town…until River West comes along. River rents the guest house behind Violet’s crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard. Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more? Violet’s grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery…who makes you want to kiss back. Violet’s already so knee-deep in love, she can’t see straight. And that’s just how River likes it.” Here, Tucholke talks the inspiration for her debut, and teases what’s to come in the second and final book of the series.
Tag: Debut (1-5 of 5)
Remi Aubuchon announced last month that he is stepping down from his post as showrunner for TNT’s Falling Skies before the expected fourth season in order to focus on his debut novel. The TV job was simply “all-consuming” and left little time for writing a novel.
Ahead of the alien-invasion show’s season 3 premiere tomorrow, Aubuchon provided some details about the yet-untitled book: It will take place in a steampunk civilization on a Pangea-like supercontinent. “It imagines a world in which there’s one solid continent, but it’s in the middle of breaking up, so that’s causing a lot of havoc, [including] political havoc,” Aubuchon explains. READ FULL STORY
Poet Jason Mott’s upcoming novel The Returned has a good chance of being one of the breakout debuts of the year. In addition to garnering rave pre-publication reviews, it’s been adapted into a TV pilot starring Omar Epps, which has been picked up for series by ABC. The Returned is the story of what happens when people start returning to their loved ones from the beyond. When Harold and Lucille Hargrave’s son Jacob, who died on his eighth birthday in 1966, appears on their doorstep, they can’t agree on whether they boy is real or a wondrous imitation. As chaos erupts around the globe, the newly reunited Hargrave family finds itself at the center of a community on the brink of collapse.
Check out the trailer for The Returned below! READ FULL STORY
You know who’s cool? Maggie Shipstead, whose debut Seating Arrangements (EW grade: A–) won the Dylan Thomas Award for best novel by an author under 30. In the novel, two preppy families gather on a tony island off the New England coast for a wedding, which gets all that blue blood pumping when several members of the party have epic meltdowns, and the festivities become explosive — literally. Read on for insights on combustive cetaceans and the nomenclature and study of WASPs from one of the most promising breakout authors of 2012. READ FULL STORY
If you’re looking for another addictive YA trilogy to add to your must-read list, may I suggest Embrace? The debut novel of author Jessica Shirvington hits shelves on March 6 and follows 17-year-old Violet Eden. Violet, a kickboxer who’s training for a marathon, discovers her trainer is a Grigori—part angel and part human—who hunts exiled angels. As you can imagine, this complicates their relationship. Watch the exclusive trailer for Embrace after the jump.
- 'Sherlock' season 3: 10 new photos
- 'Doctor Who' Xmas special: Pics and clips
- Paul Walker tribute from 'Fast & Furious'
- Danny Wells, Luigi of 'Super Mario Bros.,' dies
- Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman: Let's think this through
- 'Veronica Mars' out 3/14/14 -- and we have a clip!
- 'Mob City': 18 stylish shots
- Frank Darabont: Back from the 'Dead'
- Lady Gaga Muppet special a ratings turkey 1427
- Gunfight at the Not Okay Corral 686
- 'The Walking Dead' midseason finale: 'Too Far Gone' spoilers 443
- ‘Fast and Furious’ actor Paul Walker dead after car crash 394
- '12 Years a Slave': The emotional reactions that make director Steve McQueen thankful -- Q&A 366
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' casts Marcia Gay Harden as Christian Grey's mother
- 'Veronica Mars' movie gets a release date; plus, watch a clip! -- EXCLUSIVE
- Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman: 13 thoughts on the bombshell-casting bombshell
- Gal Gadot to star as Wonder Woman in 'Batman Vs. Superman'
- 'American Horror Story': Watch Cordelia and the 'Coven' plot Fiona's murder -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO