Reviews are pouring in for Hillary Clinton’s new memoir Hard Choices, and they’re all over the map. Robin Abcarian at the Los Angeles Times writes that the book “leaves no room for doubt about how she might conduct foreign policy (pragmatically), how she will defend herself against charges that she mishandled the attack on the American compound in Benghazi, Libya (robustly) and about how much she regrets giving President George W. Bush carte blanche to wage war against Iraq (deeply and eternally).” Michiko Kakutani over at the New York Times calls it “a subtle, finely calibrated work that provides a portrait of the former secretary of state and former first lady as a heavy-duty policy wonk” and compares it favorably to Clinton’s 2003 book, Living History. On the other hand, Isaac Chotiner at The New Republic refutes Kakutani, saying her review is filled with generalizations. He writes, “if Kakutani is going to make claims for the book’s merits, she must follow through on her generic praise, and offer some sense of what is valuable in the book, or at least some sense of what she enjoyed about it.” And at Slate, critic John Dickerson says it’s filled with “safe, methodical writing.” In keeping with tradition, Clinton doesn’t reveal whether she’s running for president in 2016. Okay, Hillary; whatever you say. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Bill Watterson (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Terminator: Genisys': Meet the main characters/cast in EW exclusive portraits
- 'Terminator: Genisys': What we saw on the set--and hints on new twists
- 'Terminator: Genisys' storyboards: EW exclusive peek
- 'Party Down South 2' trailer: No sleep 'til Biloxi
- 'Game of Thrones' actors sign on for season 7, reportedly with huge raises
- 'AHS: Freak Show'; 'Survivor'; 'Arrow'; 'Nashville'; 'Top Chef'; more TV recaps
- Jim Carrey nails McConaughey voice again: 'All I gotta do is let go of the illusion that I exist'
- Spider-Man fans, take a good long look at Marvel's latest Summer '15 teaser
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' star joins Kevin Williamson's CBS drama pilot
- Videogame face-off: 'FIFA 10' vs. 'NBA2K10'
- Lily Rabe to appear on 'American Horror Story: Freak Show,' reprise 'Asylum' role
- This week's cover: First look at 'Terminator: Genisys'
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' movie rights acquired by Universal and Focus Features