Today’s bevy of book news includes an open letter, another digital archive, and a retirement that’s up in the air. Read on for more top headlines: READ FULL STORY
Tag: Apple (1-4 of 4)
On the Books: Apple to be monitored over deals with publishing houses; Amazon removes self-published pornographic e-books
No prizes or major announcements today, folks — this morning’s books headlines feature major companies hitting snags with publishing houses, but there are plenty of other good reads online. Check out more of today’s links below: READ FULL STORY
We’re ending the week mostly with a slew of updates on the top book headlines of the month. Check out today’s books news and more below: READ FULL STORY
Apple Inc. broke antitrust laws and conspired with publishers to raise electronic book prices, a federal judge ruled Wednesday, citing “compelling evidence” from the words of the late Steve Jobs.
U.S. District Judge Denise Cote said Apple knew that no publisher could risk acting alone to try to eliminate Amazon.com’s $9.99 price for the most popular e-books so it “created a mechanism and environment that enabled them to act together in a matter of weeks to eliminate all retail price competition for their e-books.”
The Manhattan jurist, who did not determine damages, added: “The evidence is overwhelming that Apple knew of the unlawful aims of the conspiracy and joined the conspiracy with the specific intent to help it succeed.”
Apple spokesman Tom Neumayr said the Cupertino, Calif.-based company planned to appeal.
“Apple did not conspire to fix e-book pricing and we will continue to fight against these false accusations,” he said. “We’ve done nothing wrong.”
Assistant Attorney General Bill Baer called the ruling “a victory for millions of consumers who choose to read books electronically.”
READ FULL STORY
- 'Beyonce': EW music review
- 'SNL' ready: Clips of 11 funny black women
- 12 signs you're watching a Coen brothers pic
- Tina + Amy: Golden Globes plans so far?
- 'My Little Pony' sneak peek: Cutie Mark Crusaders!
- 'Spider-Man' spin-offs: Heroes and villains
- 'Normal Heart': First Look photo
- 'Once Upon a Time' preview: 'Peter Pan never fails'
Top 5 Most Read
- Golden Globes: Alfonso Cuaron on his bumpy 'Gravity' journey and the inaccuracy you never noticed
- Disney Channel plans original movie 'Descendants,' featuring teenage kids of classic villains
- 'Grey's Anatomy' recap: Stand Up and Take It
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler reveal 'Star Wars VII' roles; J.J. Abrams responds
- 'Scandal' recap: 'The Devil Came In'