We’ve had our fun with summer books, but now that it’s starting to get too cold for the beach, it’s time to break out some of the biggest-name authors in publishing. From popular non-fiction (Malcolm Gladwell’s David and Goliath) to huge sequels (Stephen King’s Dr. Sleep and Helen Fielding’s next Bridget Jones novel) to heavy fiction (Donna Tartt’s The Goldfinch) to award contenders (Jhumpa Lahiri’s The Lowland), we’re giving you a sneak peek at the books we’re most looking forward to.
Tag: Amy Tan (1-3 of 3)
The Valley of Amazement, Amy Tan’s first novel in eight years, is one of the most anticipated novels this fall. Ahead of its Nov. 5 release, Ecco, an imprint of HarperCollins, has announced Tan’s next two books, which will be coming in relatively quick succession. An as-yet untitled collection of essays is slated for Fall 2014, and a new novel, The Memory of Desire, will be released Fall 2016.
Tan described the upcoming books in a press release. READ FULL STORY
HarperCollins announced today that it has acquired Amy Tan’s new novel The Valley of Amazement. In a press release, Tan said of the novel, “A painting called the ‘Valley of Amazement’ is passed along through three generations of women of the same family. Despite vast differences in their upbringing, culture and circumstances, each of the women is drawn to discover the meaning of the painting and the unknown histories of their mothers.”
Even though the plot doesn’t sound like a huge departure from her previous novels about Chinese mothers and daughters, I think Tan is ripe for a comeback. I’d be happy to see her go back to her roots –generational family dramas — especially after her last novel for adults, 2005′s Saving Fish from Drowning, proved somewhat out-of-character for her. I dust off my old copy of The Joy Luck Club every year or so, and her other novels, have consistently brought us memorable, feisty female characters. I’m definitely looking forward to some more naggy Chinese grandmothers in the new novel so Tan can put her fine ear for dialect to use. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Pitch Perfect 2': What we saw on the set
- 'How to Get Away with Murder': The killer speaks
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' boss talks THAT killer twist
- 'Hobbit' First Look: Billy Boyd music video for the 'Last Goodbye' closing theme
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- 'Howard the Duck' comic coming back: Creative team tells what's in store
- 'Bones' birth: What a Sweets moment
- 'Scandal': Kerry Washington and costars on midseason finale shocker
Top 5 Most Read
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' boss talks killer twist
- AMC to debut 'Better Call Saul' with two-night event
- 'How to Get Away With Murder' recap: 'Kill Me, Kill Me, Kill Me'
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- 'AHS: Freak Show' Exclusive: Watch Evan Peters perform Nirvana's 'Come As You Are'