Maria Bello is working on a book based on her 2013 New York Times column, “Coming Out as a Modern Family.” HarperCollins imprint Dey Street will publish Miracles and Madness, which will “weave together stories of family, love, sex and faith, chronicling the lessons of her life with honesty and courage,” according to a release. In the column, she discussed her experience coming out to her then-12-year-old son Jack and opened up about her relationship with Clare Munn, a Zimbabwe-born activist. When she came out to her son, he responded, “Whatever — love is love.” Bello also used the column as an opportunity to discuss the fluid nature of relationships and how the word “partner” does not only apply to those with whom you have had sex. “My feelings about attachment and partnership have always been that they are fluid and evolving,” Bello wrote. She explained that Dan McDermott, Jack’s father, would always be her partner because of the child they had together and that Clare would always be her partner because she is her best friend. And together, the three of them have created a modern family. “So I would like to consider myself a ‘whatever,’ as Jackson said,” wrote Bello. “Whomever I love, however I love them, whether they sleep in my bed or not, or whether I do homework with them or share a child with them, ‘love is love.’ And I love our modern family.” Bello is best known for her role in 2005’s A History of Violence and roles on the TV series ER and Prime Suspect. She was a series regular on the Fox series Touch, which starred Kiefer Sutherland and was canceled last year. In a statement released by Dey Street Books, Bello said she was “thrilled that Dey Street/Harper Collins is interested in opening up the conversation to a bigger audience — the conversation being that the only labels we have are the ones we give ourselves.” The memoir is scheduled to be released in early 2015.
Maria Bello to author 'modern-family' book in 2015
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Grey's Anatomy' sneak peek: Meredith and Maggie go toe-to-toe
- 'Walking Dead': Get up to speed in 60 seconds
- Rory Gilmore Reading Project creator to dive into all 338 books named on series; 7 he's liked so far
- 'Big Bang Theory' recap: 7 favorite laugh lines
- 'Castle' season premiere: Your take on 'Driven'?
- 'Castle' boss tips us off to 5 things to look for this season
- 'The Blacklist'; 'Dancing With the Stars'; 'Gotham'; 'The Voice'; 'Sleepy Hollow'; more recaps
- 'SNL': Bill Hader on chat with Lorne Michaels about Pete Davidson ('By the way, do you want to host?')
Top 5 Most Read
- 'The Walking Dead' star Emily Kinney says there's 'definitely a connection' between Beth and Daryl
- 'Castle' season 7 premiere recap: Where in the world is Richard Castle?
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: Raining on prom night
- 'Mythbusters': Discovery responds to fan outrage over dumping Kari Byron
- Tony Almeida wants out of solitary in new '24' Blu-ray feature