Maria Bello is working on a book based on her 2013 New York Times column, “Coming Out as a Modern Family.” HarperCollins imprint Dey Street will publish Miracles and Madness, which will “weave together stories of family, love, sex and faith, chronicling the lessons of her life with honesty and courage,” according to a release. In the column, she discussed her experience coming out to her then-12-year-old son Jack and opened up about her relationship with Clare Munn, a Zimbabwe-born activist. When she came out to her son, he responded, “Whatever — love is love.” Bello also used the column as an opportunity to discuss the fluid nature of relationships and how the word “partner” does not only apply to those with whom you have had sex. “My feelings about attachment and partnership have always been that they are fluid and evolving,” Bello wrote. She explained that Dan McDermott, Jack’s father, would always be her partner because of the child they had together and that Clare would always be her partner because she is her best friend. And together, the three of them have created a modern family. “So I would like to consider myself a ‘whatever,’ as Jackson said,” wrote Bello. “Whomever I love, however I love them, whether they sleep in my bed or not, or whether I do homework with them or share a child with them, ‘love is love.’ And I love our modern family.” Bello is best known for her role in 2005’s A History of Violence and roles on the TV series ER and Prime Suspect. She was a series regular on the Fox series Touch, which starred Kiefer Sutherland and was canceled last year. In a statement released by Dey Street Books, Bello said she was “thrilled that Dey Street/Harper Collins is interested in opening up the conversation to a bigger audience — the conversation being that the only labels we have are the ones we give ourselves.” The memoir is scheduled to be released in early 2015.
Maria Bello to author 'modern-family' book in 2015
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Empire Strikes Back' live-read: Ellen Page as Han Solo, Jessica Alba as Leia
- 25 best 'Stephen Colbert' moments
- 'Survivor' season finale recap: The right one won
- 'Fargo' season 2 scoop, including a peek at a page from the premiere's script
- 'Game of Thrones' refashions Arya's look
- 'Survivor' season finale: 5 Q's for Jeff Probst and a deleted scene
- 'Survivor' season 30 scoop: Jeff Probst shares new details on 'Worlds Apart'
- 'Ascension' finale: Lost in space, or 'Lost' in space?
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst reacts to the winner, Reed's harsh comments, and the entire season
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur' finale: And the winner is...
- 'Survivor' season finale recap: The Right Person Won
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart': Jeff Probst gives exclusive intel on NEXT season
- 'Game of Thrones': See Arya's radical new costume design -- exclusive