The Impossible Knife of Memory, Laurie Halse Anderson’s latest YA novel, debuts Jan. 7, 2014. The book “centers around high school senior Hayley whose single father, Andy, struggles to escape the demons that have tortured him since his return from Iraq. The two never live in one town long enough for those memories to catch up with him, until now. When Hayley and Andy finally stop running, Andy learns that a soldier’s battle is never really over.” Does The Impossible Knife of Memory pique your interest? You don’t have to wait until 2014 to get started. Check out the first six chapters after the jump.
Read an exclusive excerpt from Laurie Halse Anderson's newest YA novel
Latest Videos in Books
- 'SNL' recap: Cameron Diaz is a 'Back Home Baller'
- AMAs 2013 flashback: See how we graded last year's performances
- AMAs 2013 flashback: What the stars wore--and how we sized up their style
- 'Mockingjay' quiz: Test your smarts
- 'Jurassic World' teases Thanksgiving trailer: 3 nods to 'Jurassic Park'
- 'Hobbit' First Look: Billy Boyd music video for the 'Last Goodbye' closing theme
- Stephen Merchant answers burning Q's about 'Hello Ladies: The Movie' (including THAT cameo)
- 20 platonic movie/TV power couples
Top 5 Most Read
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- Times Change: 'Jurassic World' teases with three homages to Steven Spielberg's original
- 'Saturday Night Live' recap: 'Cameron Diaz and Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars'
- Bodies of Work: 49 Unforgettable Nude Scenes
- Box office report: 'The Hunger Games' wins the weekend (and the year)