6. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo: Alina Starkov is pathetic. But after her ship is attacked by flesh-eaters in the middle of the Shadow Fold, a chasm of total darkness dividing the land of Ravka, Alina discovers she has a rare power that may hold the key to saving her country. She’s taken away to court, where she’s trained as a Grisha, one of the gifted magical elite led by the Darkling. And yet, despite all the glitz and glitter of her new world, something is not right… Do you often find yourself rooting for the bad guy? (Cough, Damon Salvatore, cough, cough.) Then give this a try.
7. Ashfall by Mike Mullin: The scariest apocalypse is the one you know, right? 15-year-old Alex is just enjoying a quiet night at home when the supervolcano under Yellowstone erupts. As his hometown is plunged into darkness and utter chaos, Alex sets out through the ash to reunite with his family 140 miles away. But the world is a dangerous place in the wake of this natural disaster and people can’t be trusted. It’s The Hunger Games meets Dante’s Peak in this action-packed novel.
8. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi: Here’s another book for those of you who like the bad guys. Juliette has a
gift curse: her touch is fatal. As a teenager, she’s locked up to protect people against her dangerous ability. But the Reestablishment has plans for her whether she likes it or not, and they release her from her prison to put her touch to depraved use. Think Rogue in X-Men.
9. Dragon’s Bait by Vivian Vande Velde: 15-year-old Alys is accused of witchcraft and left out as a sacrifice to a local dragon. Instead of eating her, however, the dragon sets her free and together they plot the perfect vengeance against those who betrayed her. It’s the medieval Revenge, minus the smarmy sidekick, but plus dragons! (Hot dragons — and we don’t mean in the fire-breathing way.)
10. Peeps by Scott Westerfeld: Cal Thomson is a 19-year-old carrier for a vampire parasite — making him parasite-positive or “peep.” Cal’s one of the lucky ones — he doesn’t have the full-blown disease, which turns the infected into raving cannibals. Instead, he works with an underground New York City bureau known as the Night Watch (no, not the one from Game of Thrones) to track down the afflicted. But when a greater evil threatens Manhattan, Cal learns that the vampires might be the only hope for mankind.
Got any other recommendations? Add them below!
Richelle Mead talks ‘Bloodlines’ sequel ‘The Golden Lily’
‘Harry Potter’ producer to make ‘Shadow and Bone’ fantasy for DreamWorks — BREAKING
Watch the trailer for Tahereh Mafi’s ‘Destroy Me’ — EXCLUSIVE VIDEO