It’s late November, and already those best-of-the-year lists are starting to trickle out. Amazon chose Chad Harbach’s much-hyped debut, The Art of Fielding, as their No. 1 novel. Others have picked Jeffrey Eugenides’ long-awaited The Marriage Plot or included worthy contenders like Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84 and Teju Cole’s Open City in a big unranked list (what a cop-out!). And yes, I’m planning to add to the cacophony with a list of my own, which I’m working on right now (look for it in the issue of EW that’s on newsstands Dec. 16). But before we’re all overwhelmed by a gush of often-conflicting opinions, we want to know what you thought were the best novels of 2011. Did you fall hard for Ann Patchett’s South American adventure yarn State of Wonder? Geek out to Ernest Cline’s page-turning nerd-fest Ready Player One? Marvel over accomplished debuts from Tea Obreht (The Tiger’s Wife) and Karen Russell (Swamplandia!)? Think The Art of Fielding was totally overrated? Below, let us know what you read and loved (or hated) this year. And if you have a top 10 list of your own, by all means post it. Let the arguing commence!
What were your favorite novels of 2011? Let's discuss
Latest Videos in Books
- 20 most compelling actor/director teams now
- Sarah Paulson on 'AHS: Freak Show': 'something happens in the very first episode that's crazy'
- 'Red Band Society' debuts: First impressions?
- 'Top Chef Duels' recap: Nyesha Arrington vs. Jennifer Carroll
- Kunal Nayyar sings Boyz II Men on 'Queen Latifah Show': Sneak peek
- Frankie's 'Big Brother' regret? 'Trusting Caleb. Period.'
- 'This Is Where I Leave You' review: Reunited and it feels so...schmaltzy
- 'Survivor' scouting report: John Rocker's plan if he's recognized?
- No Blood On His Hands 601
- Famed James Bond villain Richard Kiel dies at 74 569
- Discovery to strand Democrat and Republican senators on deserted island 484
- The glimmering crocodile tears of Princess Victoria, First of Her Name 475
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks 440
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- Frankie of 'Big Brother' says he does not regret pushing the Rewind button and wants to marry Zach
- '7th Heaven' cast, minus Ruthie, reunites
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: No second chance for a second dance