This morning Little, Brown announced a first printing of Meyer’s novella, The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. Bree figures prominently in the movie version of Eclipse, opening June 30 (and director David Slade was able to read an early copy of the novella). But as fans remember, she does not appear in the book until page 569, in a pivotal scene where Bella and the Cullens encounter some of Victoria’s wild vampires in the forest: “The girl was curled into a small ball beside the flames, her arms wrapped around her legs….Her eyes were focused on me, and the eyes were a shocking, brilliant red.” Of Meyer’s decision to donate money from the sale of each book to the Red Cross, Little, Brown deputy publisher Andrew Smith says, “The plight of folks in Haiti and now Chile has been so much in the media, and very much on Stephenie’s radar,” pointing out that Meyer has been talking about the subject on her website for some time. (On January 27, she wrote, “I’ve been very impressed with the world in general and the Twilight fansite in specific in the support and love everyone is giving to Haiti.”) The website dedicated to the new book, breetanner.com — which will feature the book beginning June 7 — will provide a Red Cross link tied specifically to the novella. “We’ll be able to track how much Twilight fans are giving,” Smith says.
Stephenie Meyer's novella, 'The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner,' and the Red Cross
Latest Videos in Books
- 'Gotham' recap: What did you think of its 'Pilot'?
- 'Gone Girl' review: Put it on the 'A' list
- 'Modern Family' sneak peek: The Dunphys had a great summer...without Alex
- 'Lost' turns 10: Doc Jensen on the highs, lows, and legacy
- 11 things you'll want to know about the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover
- 'Sleepy Hollow' stars explain season 1 in 30 seconds
- 'NCIS' First Look: Meet young Ducky
- 'Faking It' stars talk THAT hookup: 'We totally understand why you're angry'
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- Cover up: 10 essential banned and challenged graphic novels
- If Jamie Dornan had returned to 'Once Upon a Time': What would've been
- 'The Good Wife' season premiere recap: 'The Line'
- 'Mythbusters': Discovery responds to fan outrage over dumping Kari Byron