This morning Little, Brown announced a first printing of Meyer’s novella, The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. Bree figures prominently in the movie version of Eclipse, opening June 30 (and director David Slade was able to read an early copy of the novella). But as fans remember, she does not appear in the book until page 569, in a pivotal scene where Bella and the Cullens encounter some of Victoria’s wild vampires in the forest: “The girl was curled into a small ball beside the flames, her arms wrapped around her legs….Her eyes were focused on me, and the eyes were a shocking, brilliant red.” Of Meyer’s decision to donate money from the sale of each book to the Red Cross, Little, Brown deputy publisher Andrew Smith says, “The plight of folks in Haiti and now Chile has been so much in the media, and very much on Stephenie’s radar,” pointing out that Meyer has been talking about the subject on her website for some time. (On January 27, she wrote, “I’ve been very impressed with the world in general and the Twilight fansite in specific in the support and love everyone is giving to Haiti.”) The website dedicated to the new book, breetanner.com — which will feature the book beginning June 7 — will provide a Red Cross link tied specifically to the novella. “We’ll be able to track how much Twilight fans are giving,” Smith says.
Stephenie Meyer's novella, 'The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner,' and the Red Cross
Latest Videos in Books
- Comic-Con 2014 star portraits: Day 1
- Comic-Con 2014: All the stars at the EW Hideout
- 'Arrow' boss: 'Olicity' date is not a 'fake-out'
- 'Big Brother': 3 Q's for Julie Chen
- Comic-Con '14: Eye on day 1 panels
- 'Heroes United': Iron Man, Captain America in 'toon
- J.K. Rowling visits U.K. event as Robert Galbraith
- 'Interstellar' brings Christopher Nolan to Comic-Con
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Hannibal' new blooper reel plus season 3 scoop
- 'Downton Abbey' looks to bounce back from season 4 (Updated)
- Christopher Nolan and Matthew McConaughey make Comic-Con debut with 'Interstellar'
- Here's how 'Supernatural' star Misha Collins is breaking world records
- The 'Fifty Shades of Grey' trailer has arrived